Monday, September 3, 2007

Proverbs 16:9

This was the start of last year's West Virginia backpacking trip.

Perhaps it is just "coincidence", but....
(those who know me know I do not believe in coincidence...) we were supposed to be backpacking in West Virginia this weekend. This is a trip we've had planned and been looking forward to for the whole year. We were to hike a ridge and attempt our first route that did not have easy access to water, as you have when hiking a valley where you'll find rivers and streams. Apparently God had other plans. I don't pretend to be able to understand His ways, but sometimes some of the benefits of the change in plan are immediately obvious. Since aborting the trip Wednesday night (due to a team member obeying a leading to minister to an aunt in crisis), here are a few of the things that have happened:


  • Thursday there was a medical crisis HERE that needed my help, when we would have been out of town taking the dogs to the dogsitter (Grandma's house).
  • Friday morning I broke a toe. Cramming my foot in a boot and strapping 40 pounds of gear to my back would have made for a miserable weekend.
  • Friday night we had an opportunity to go sailing with some friends who are very strong in the Lord, and gained new perpsective with regard to how the Lord had been leading us.
  • Sunday we attended a service in which the message provided confirmation and direction to many aspects of this season. By the time we arrived home from church, we had a clear sense that the Lord had illuminated the next step of the process, we took our house off the market, and entered into a whole new sense of peace, settledness and direction.
  • Monday - we would have been hiking off the mountain this day, and I started the morning off by throwing my back out. Not bad, just that nuisance pain that tells me I need to become more intentionally fitness minded, especially after these hand surgeries that cause such atrophy from being immobilized.

Proverbs 16:9


The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.


No comments: